Menu

Common Hazards

Stings in dogs

My pet has been stung – what should I do?

Most stings that our pets receive just cause localised swelling, redness and discomfort.  A sting is basically a localised allergic reaction. In these cases, your pet will require treatment by a vet the same day.

Very rarely, a pet may suffer from anaphylaxis as a result of a sting. This is a severe generalised allergic reaction affecting multiple bodily systems. This can occur very rapidly.  Signs may include rapid breathing, pale gums, rapid and dramatic swelling of the affected area or throat and a fast heartbeat.

If left untreated, anaphylaxis can progress to shock, so your pet should see a vet immediately.