Menu

Common Hazards

Shock

What is shock – and what should I do if my pet is suffering from shock?

Shock is a life-threatening medical condition, where the pet’s body has an inadequate flow of blood to the body's tissues, which can cause major damage to organs. A pet in shock needs to get medical help immediately, as shock can worsen rapidly and even kill the pet.

Causes of shock include blood loss, allergic reactions and severe fluid loss due to other illness.  

If you suspect your pet is suffering from shock, he or she should see a vet immediately.